COVID-19: financial support and benefits
There are two main benefits that you may be entitled to receive:
- Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
• Available from day 1 of illness (not the usual day 4)
• Payable if staying at home on government advice (not just if you are affected by COVID-19
• The benefit pays £94.25 per week for up to 28 weeks
You can read more about SSP here.
2. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
• You can apply for this if you are not eligible for SSP
• You can apply for up to 3 months before the end of your SSP benefit (if applicable)
• It is possible to have this alongside universal credit
• You are not eligible for this support if you have savings/investments over £16,000
• ESA is paid every 2 weeks
• You can apply for a budgeting loan if you are on ESA for at least 6 months
• If able you can work for up to 16hrs / earning £131.50 per week and still claim ESA
You can read more about ESA here.
Stay up to date with the latest NHS COVID-19 guidance here.