End of life care
At Thornbury Nursing, we provide end of life care at home to people living in England and Wales. Working with both private clients and public sector representatives, we make sure that people get the care and support that they need and deserve in their final moments.
What do we mean by end of life care services?
End of life nursing care at home – which is much like palliative care – focuses on providing specialist physical and emotional support to individuals and their families during the final days, weeks, or months of life.
Our compassionate nursing team delivers a comprehensive range of clinical services, mirroring those found in a hospital setting but within the familiar and comforting home environment, surrounded by loved ones.
Having a specialist nurse to provide end of life care at home gives people a choice to return from a hospice, care facility, or hospital to spend their remaining time in the comfort of their own home, knowing that they are receiving appropriate care to alleviate pain and manage other symptoms.
For information on longer-term palliative care, find out about our at-home palliative care services.
A detailed summary of our end of life care services
- Advice on practical aspects of care, including specialist equipment for the home
- Assess and understand each person’s needs
- Support rapid discharge from hospital, care home or hospice, allowing loved ones to be cared for at home at short notice but safely
- Enable families and friends to spend quality time at home with their loved ones
- Manage breakthrough pain and ensure the correct dosage and timely delivery of any medicines
- Provide personalised support during someone’s final days or weeks
- Work with GPs, palliative care teams, and district nurses to ensure holistic support for patients and their families
Who can we support?
As well as working with many private clients, we support Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) and the NHS by providing agency workers at short notice – and when others can’t – to work with palliative care teams, district nursing teams, and other care providers.
Whether you need 24/7 clinical support or overnight care, we can build the right team of nurses and healthcare assistants around you.
Our approach to end of life care at home
Thornbury Nursing works across England and Wales, even in the remotest of locations. We recruit to standards that exceed local regulations and guidelines, meaning our nurses are highly experienced and skilled, with the ability to provide an exceptional level of care.
We’re also here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – just pick up the phone and give our team a call. With Thornbury Nursing, here’s what our clients and you can expect from us:
- Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulated and consistently high ratings for our services
- Clinical leads who are registered nurses with vast experience and knowledge
- A careful vetting process for our nurses and carers
- The right nurses and healthcare assistants, wherever you live
- Continuity of care and detailed handovers
- Support any time of the day or night, regardless of whether your request is last-minute, unusual, remote, or difficult to cover
How much does end of life care cost?
The cost of end of life care can vary depending on the needs and requirements of an individual. At Thornbury Nursing, we’ll carry out a full and detailed assessment to build a care plan around your needs. We’ll also provide a detailed breakdown of the anticipated fees.
End of life care case study
We were contacted directly by a family requiring palliative care for a loved one. They needed nursing support to ensure their relative could still enjoy family time. Our client was keen to retain as much normality in their life as possible, and our nurses respected this, ensuring discreet and professional care. We continued to support this client until they passed away some weeks later. The family was extremely grateful for our support, which meant they could spend invaluable time with their loved one, knowing he was comfortable, with the best care.
“Firstly, can I say that out of the 11 organisations I contacted in the area, TNS was the only one prepared to supply the support we required, even with little notice. We wanted to honour our mum’s wish to die at home, yet there was no-one who seemed to be available to help us. If you are ever in a position where you need to bring a loved one home for palliative/end of life care, I would recommend that you seriously consider using a professional, 24-hour nursing care provider. Yes, the cost may be higher, but it is most often only for a relatively short time. The peace of mind it provides is immeasurable and makes a difficult process much more bearable. TNS’s company motto is ‘when no one else can’ – well, you certainly lived up to your company’s mission with us!”